Videos Buffering Or Not Loading
Behind a school network? Having trouble streaming? Learn more below.
Waiting on videos to buffer or load can certainly be a frustrating problem, especially when you have kids ready to begin class.
Typically this is caused by bandwidth issues or network congestion on your network. Our videos are hosted on Uscreen.tv, which has a global content delivery network with multiple servers for redundancy and reliability. While Uscreen can go down, it is incredibly rare, and 9 times out of 10, it has something to do with settings on your end.
If you’re at a school, network filtering or other content restrictions can affect access to Prodigies. Take these steps if you encounter issues with buffering videos:
- Clear Your Browser Cache
- Many times this can fix problems with page loading, which in turn can force a reload of the video player.
- Learn more about clearing your cache at https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/how-to-clear-browser-cache/
- Test your network connection speed. Your speed should be 5 mpbs or better to reliably stream Prodigies. If your connection speed is not fast enough, consult with your network or IT department, or ISP.
- Try a different browser. We recommend Chrome, but if the issue is happening on Chrome, try a different browser to see if you get the same results.
- Reset your network router. Sometimes traffic can become congested on your home or school network, and power cycling your network / WiFi router can reset open connections that may be taking up bandwidth.
- Determine whether the problem is in the network or the device. For example, if you’re on a laptop, try loading the same video on a different computer or tablet on your network. Then try loading the video on a mobile phone over it’s data connection. If the video works over the data connection, but not on your WiFi, then the issue lies in the network.
- SCHOOLS: ensure that network access is whitelisted to the computer / port used for Prodigies for these URL’s (TCP Port 80 and UDP port 443):
- *prodigiesmusic.com (and play.prodigiesmusic.com)
- *uscreen.io (and prodigiesmusic.uscreen.io)
- *mux.com (and stream.mux.com)
- If your device can be ethernet connected instead of Wifi, try that to see if loading is more reliable. If so, then the WiFi connection may need further troubleshooting.
- Tablets with parental controls – you may have to manually allow traffic in your parental control suite to the above URL’s for the Prodigies website and apps to load video. On iPads, this is located in Screen Time.
- Older hardware: Prodigies Music videos are 1080p and 60fps. Your computer or device's graphics card should be able to handle smooth playback of 1080p60 content without lagging. We use 60fps because quickly scrolling sheet music can look very blurring or choppy at 30fps. Some older laptops may have trouble if they are more than 5 years old. We recommend processors of Intel Core i5's and up, AMD Ryzen 5 and up, Chromebooks, and graphics cards from Nvidia / AMD with at least 2gb of RAM. To find out your system's specifications, on a Mac, use the Apple menu and click "About This Mac." On a Windows machine, type "dxdiag.exe" into the search feature of the start menu.
- Try the backup URL for the legacy Prodiges Play: https://prodigiesmusic.com/play. This site uses an older web interface and may work more smoothly for you, but the layout is different and content may be missing.
- LIFETIME MEMBERS: You may want to use the download hall ahead of time to download the videos by chapter and organize them into folders. While downloading can take a while, it will eliminate the need to stream them from the website, if you’re loading them from your hard drive.